Windows 10 is no doubt an improved version of Windows OS. Still, it lags sometimes especially if you are not having the right knowledge about Windows 10 optimization. If you are using the high-end processor such as Intel i5 or i7 and still facing some lagging issues, Then you can try disabling the superfetch option in windows 10 and it will help you to tweak your PC performance the little bit.
Before starting the main part let’s check out the brief details about the SuperFetch. What is superfetch and how Superfetch speeds up your pc.
What is Superfetch?
The official description of superfetch says “It will improve your pc performance” but let’s check brief details about this description.
Superfetch was firstly introduced to windows vista. The superfetch task is to check out the daily activities you are doing on your PC like opening any applications frequently and thus superfetch adds into his list. Later, When you will try to reopen the same application which you are using frequently then it will load faster than the normal rate.
Reason: Superfetch already added the load to your CPU memory and Ram and Thus it requires the lesser number of memory while opening the same application.
By the default, Superfetch is designed to take all of your Ram and memory for its preloading function. This is the reason when you are trying to open any new application your pc will lag.
Another Question that has been frequently asked by the users is Superfetch and Prefetch same? Note that Superfetch is updated version of Prefetch. While Prefetch was first introduced for Windows XP and the later updated version of Superfetch has been introduced with Windows Vista. The difference between the prefetch and superfetch is Prefetchdid not analyze usage patterns over time and adjust its preloading parameters accordingly.
Is SuperFetch Really Necessary?
If You are having a modern pc with really great specifications. Then I don’t think superfetch will be a Problem for you. In fact, You even don’t know that superfetch is running on your system. But there are some problems that can arise while using superfetch.
What are the problems? That can arise by superfetch?
- You are aware of what superfetch is and how it’s work and the Superfetch itself will run in the background and may use some of your CPU and Ram memory.
- Superfetch is something which does not eliminate the process of loading ram but it is slightly Different as Its preload the memory into the ram and whenever you launch the application your pc will face the same slowdown process as it takes while loading the application without superfetch.
- It can cause the problem to your HDD (Hard Disk Drive) as Superfetch is continuously running and it transfers the memory from your HDD to Ram. Thus, if the Memory usage will reach 100% then you may face an excessive slowdown on your pc.
- If You are on SSD then You really don’t need to use Superfetch as the Performance of Superfetch will be unnoticeable since SSD is fast itself.
If You are into gaming then while your gaming sessions sometimes you feel the slight slowdown on your session here Superfetch can be culprit especially for the PC which is having less than or Exactly 4GB ram. Some heavier games require Ram and the Superfetch already uses the Ram memory for preloading purposes thus it can cause a problem while loading and unloading memory.
You may also like to Read: How To Fix the Device attached to the system is not working
Now, the Second Question which has been Frequently asked by the user. Is it safe to disable superfetch? The answer is Yes, It’s totally safe to disable super fetch since if you are facing slowdown you can try disabling the Superfetch and see if it works for you.
Let’s check out the guide for How To disable superfetch in Windows 10?
How To Disable Superfetch in Windows 10?
We don’t recommend to disable superfetch until and until you are facing the above-listed issues. If You are not sure about it? You can try disabling it and if there is no difference put it on back.
Disable Superfetch Using Services:
- First, You have to open the services of windows 10. You can do this by clicking Windows Key on your keyboard and then start typing services and then press enter, Alternatively, You can do this by pressing windows key + R Button collectively and then type services.MSC and hit enter.
- Once the services tab is opened onto your screen. Scroll down until you find superfetch in the list. Once you find the superfetch in the list right click on it and click on stop.
- Then, click on startup type and choose the disabled option from the drop-down list.
- That’s it. You are successfully disabled superfetch in your system.
Disable Superfetch Using the Registry Editor:
While the method of the services is always preferred. Still, If You are not able to disable superfetch using the Services, You can always try the second option which is Registry Editor. Make sure to back up the registry file before doing any changes.
- First, You have to open the registry and you can do this by clicking on Windows key on your keyboard and start typing Regedit then hit enter. Alternatively, You can do this by pressing windows key + R together and type regedit and click on ok.
- The second step fo your is to find the superfetch key. You can do this by navigating to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Session Manager / MemoryManagement / PrefetchParameters.
- The third step of yours is to right click on the enable superfetch and change the name and value to the 0 and You are done.
If You are a regular user and frequently open the applications that you used frequently in your PC. Then Disabling superfetch maybe the bad option for you, as It will slow down the process of loading the application to normal. However, It’s preferred to disable superfetch if you are not having the good specifications in your system or using an SSD.
There is really no need of using Superfetch in SSD (solid state drive) as SSD itself is faster and the superfetch effects will be unnoticeable. Still, If You are having any doubt’s You can ask us in the comments section.